Sunday, May 12, 2013

Why Disciplines Aren't Enough

It's only been 3 days, and I've already felt my heart steering in the wrong direction. I've already admitted in previous posts that my natural bent is for activities and achievements. If I have a formula for success, I'm good to go...alone. But, the disciplines as God intends them are not about activities. They are about the heart.

I can't count the number of times that I have prayed or read my Bible or fasted or...or...or...and it hasn't done a thing in my heart. When I do the discipline to pride myself on having done it or to check it off my list, it's worthless. And, I feel it. There is no peace in my heart. Just more activities and more stress over everything I have to do. Satan loves this because it drives me away from the presence of the Lord. I want to flee from the pressure and the busyness.

But, that's not what the Lord has to offer. He wants to offer peace and rest. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28).

When I feel the weight of the disciplines and my to do list getting heavier, I know I'm getting off track, but I don't think this is cause to throw out the disciplines all together though. In the moments I've gotten off track, I've felt the pull of the Lord to honestly and humbly come before Him with no defenses and no hiding to take another inventory of my heart. In those moments, He's reminded me that He is gentle and humble in heart, and I will find rest for my soul in Him (Matthew 11:29).

The disciplines are only good insofar as they enable us to peacefully dwell in the presence of Christ and be changed by Him.  

In John 15:5, Jesus says, "I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." I will accomplish nothing by disciplines alone unless I stop the constant activity, and, in the midst of the disciplines, find myself abiding in the holiness of Christ. 


No comments:

Post a Comment