Thursday, May 16, 2013

Meditation and the Readying of the Spirit

Though David speaks of meditating often in the Psalms, prior to now, I've rarely considered meditating as a spiritual discipline that I would practice myself. I suppose I didn't really know what it was; or, I suppose it sounded too much like things that the Christian Church tends to shy away from or label as "too spiritual".

But, Joyce Huggett, in Spiritual Classics: A Renovare resource for individuals and groups, has a much different view on meditation. She writes, "...Christian meditation must not be confused with yoga, Eastern meditation or transcendental meditation. For, unlike these disciplines, Christian meditation has nothing to do with emptying our minds. Christian meditation engages every part of us--our mind, our emotions, our imagination, our creativity, and surpremely, our will."

There are different methods and practical ways to meditate. Huggett suggests muttering a Scripture over and over as David describes in the Psalms. Or, simply reflecting or pondering on the Scripture in our hearts. Richard Foster in Celebration of Discipline even talks about meditating on being in the very presence of Christ, using our imagination to envision walking with Him in fields or meadows.

Joyce Huggett places meditation in broader framework of the disciplines this way, "Such stillness is to Bible reading what preparing the soil is to good farming. Essential for fruitfulness." In other words, meditation, or spending time to quiet our minds and hearts to reflect on the being of Christ and His truth is the first step in pursuing other disciplines. Without this change in our focus and attitudes, our minds and hearts are not ready to receive what the Spirit has to give to us.

In practicing meditation yesterday and today, I chose to dwell on two passages. Yesterday was Isaiah 33:6, "He will be a sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge. The fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure." And, today was Psalm 100:4a, "Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise."

I've never spent such extended time repeating a passage of Scripture. Most of the time, I read it and move on. Or, I try to memorize it, and once I have, I close the Bible. But, with meditation, you could go on for hours like David did, "On my bed I think of you, I meditate on you all night long..." (Psalm 63:6). Repeating the verses over and over really impressed them on my heart. I was not focused so much on the task of memorization but on the truths of the Scripture, and as I meditated on them, I was drawn into the presence of God. A weight was lifted from my heart. I felt much less concerned with the worries of this life, and I was ready to hear from the Lord, free from distraction. It was truly a surprising and wonderful experience. A tilling of the soil, a readying of my spirit.

I can understand why meditation is the first chapter of Foster's Celebration of Discipline. It truly makes the spirit ready to engage with God. It frees our spirit from being subject to our spiritual to-do lists. It stops our works-based pursuit of God, makes us aware of the Lord's love-filled pursuit of us, and then draws us in to His glorious presence that we may be made into His likeness by the work of His Spirit.


No comments:

Post a Comment