Thursday, May 9, 2013

Mono, Marriage, and a Master's...and a Journey toward Spiritual Transformation

I haven't posted in a while. Turns out that 10 months filled with mono, marriage, and a Master's will do that to a blogger.

Anyway, I hope to be back for a while. For a year at least! :) This all stems from the fact that I've recently been reading Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline, and I've decided to start a year-long journey through the spiritual disciplines as a path to spiritual transformation. I've been a devoted follower of Christ for about ten years, but I've become discontent with the complacency and lack of desire that still dwells in my heart and squelches the work of the Spirit in my life. As I've been reading Celebration of Discipline, I've been convicted that I've been listless in my walk with God. I've lacked the discipline that it takes to train my heart out of that complacency and lack of desire.

So, I'm starting today. May 10, 2013. Kind of an odd, middle-of-the-year kind of date. Why start today of all days? Well, I heard a few weeks ago in a Chapel talk by a fellow student that the best indicator of what you will do tomorrow is what you've done today. I was struck. Over the last ten years, I've come up with so many dreams for my Christian walk. I've had visions of how consistent I want my times with the Lord to be, how fervent I want my prayers to be, how sincere I want my love for others to be. And, I've frequently said, "Yes, I want that...and I'll start tomorrow." But, the best indicator of what I will do tomorrow is what I did today. So, here I am. Today. Starting.

I pray that this journey would give us a clearer picture of how spiritual transformation actually happens. I think that we frequently hold on to our spiritual aspirations expecting them to happen over night in a flash (which they could, knowing the Spirit). But, I think often, spiritual transformation happens in the small decisions and in the menial moments of life. Over time we can look back on the culmination of all those menial moments and see the fruit of the Spirit making us more like Christ. I hope that this blog can be a testimony to the work of the Lord in all those trivial matters of life. May He daily helps us to walk and not grow weary as we follow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment