Wednesday, May 15, 2013

What Are the Disciplines?

One question that must be answered in a pursuit of the disciplines as a means of spiritual transformation is, "What are the disciplines?" To answer this, I've looked to those disciplines that Richard Foster has set out in his book Celebration of Discipline. Foster focuses on twelve disciplines which he divides into Inward Disciplines, Outward Disciplines, and Corporate Disciplines which are shown below.

Inward Disciplines
Meditation
Prayer
Fasting
Study

Outward Disciplines 
Simplicity
Solitude
Submission
Service

Corporate Disciplines
Confession
Worship
Guidance
Celebration

Foster illustrates the interconnected relationship of the disciplines on the final page of his book:

"...meditation heightens our spiritual sensitivity which, in turn leads us into prayer. Very soon we discover that prayer involves fasting as an accompanying means. Informed by these three Disciplines, we can effectively move into study which gives us discernment about ourselves and the world in which we live. Through simplicity we live with others in integrity. Solitude allows us to be genuinely present to people when we are with them. Through submission we live with other without manipulation, and through service we are a blessing to them. Confession frees us from ourselves and releases us to worship. Worship opens the door to guidance. All the Disciplines freely exercised bring forth the doxology of celebration" (Foster 1998: 201).

These are the disciplines that I will be focusing on for the next year. I don't plan on it being perfectly planned out in the perfect way for a blog...because the blog isn't my primary focus in all this. I want the Lord. And, I want His Spirit working in me as He wills not as I will. So, we'll see where He leads, and I'll try to record things I've learned on here as a record of the power of the Spirit to transform lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment