Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Blessings in a Blow Up

I got back to Dallas last night. My friend Michal picked me up from the airport and dropped me off at my car which had been parked at school for the last month. We parted ways (after talking wedding plans, of course), and I got in my car to make my way home. I made it a whole 10 feet before I knew something was seriously wrong. My car was virtually army crawling backward out of the parking spot. I got out to find the reason for its clunky gait only to find that my right, front tire had exploded at some point over the last month. The tire was still in tact but all the tread had exploded into shreds around it.

Though this was not what I had expected upon my arrival back home, I have been so blessed to discover all of the ways that God has protected me and taken care of me through it.

First of all, right after Michal dropped me off, she went to go pick up her siblings, but something or rather Someone ;) compelled her to come back around the parking lot and make sure I knew she hadn't deserted me before I'd made it in my car. She then gave me a ride home. I'm grateful for her help and for God's prompting her to come back.

Second, it happened while no one was driving the car. The week before I left Dallas, I knew something was wrong. The car was pulling to the right a lot and the steering wheel shimmied at high speeds. I had asked my roommate's dad about it, and he checked the lug nuts and things seemed to be fine. So, I kept driving it  giving other people rides back and forth 30 miles multiple times that week. I am so grateful that God protected us from an exploding tire while driving on the interstate and let it explode when it was sitting for a month.

Third, I normally live in an area with refugees and many immigrants; however, I had decided to park my car by school for the month. I'm so glad that it burst in the parking lot at school instead of my apartment parking lot. Changing a tire(when I really didn't know how) in front of lots of men who often stand around in the parking lot would have probably made me feel a little uneasy, but the parking lot at school was a perfect/open place to change it.

Fourth, Christy, the girl I'm staying with for the month, knows how to change a tire and had all the proper tools. And, she offered to get up this morning at 6:30am to get so I could get to Firestone to replace it by 7 when they opened. I'm so grateful she was here and was so knowledgeable and helpful. She was a real blessing.

And, I got my tires replaced by 8am this morning after discovering that the one tire was blown at 8pm last night. 12 hours (with about 8 of those being sleeping hours), and the problem was fixed.

I just feel grateful for the Lord's protection and provision today. And, of course, not all circumstances in life turn out as great as this one did, but just because I can't bank on things being so easy all the time doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't praise Him when they do.

"...give thanks in ALL circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:18)


No comments:

Post a Comment