Saturday, July 4, 2009

Learning to Trust

This week was amazing! I can't even begin to list the ways that God was working. I worked this week with the Hazelwood Christian Church junior high youth group. Amazing! They all have true servant's hearts. It was a delight to see them question, grow, work, and love. I can't wait to see what God is going to do in them and through them.

We were absolutely privileged to serve Faye Brown this week. Her husband past away about 3 years ago. We were able to do a great deal of scraping, caulking, priming, and painting on her house. She was absolutely wonderful and so hospitable. We got delicious goodies every afternoon: no bakes, cupcakes, and ice cream! Here is a picture of our group on the last day standing on Miss Faye's front porch.



So, for those of you who don't know, I found out this week on Wednesday that my dad is in heart failure due to the damage done to his heart years ago after his heart attacks. His heart is only functioning at 25%. I knew he was going in for tests at the beginning of this last week, but I certainly was not expecting that news. During the next several weeks, he has about 5 different doctor appointments so that they can decide what they are going to do. I have prayed for years that God would glorify himself through my dad's life, but somehow this was not what I was expecting. However, I know that God will use this for his own glory for his ways are higher than mine. I have been clinging to and attempting to understand the truths of Proverbs 3:5-6 this week. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight." Wow. I have had that verse memorized for over 10 years, but suddenly it has new meaning. The "ALL of your heart" and "lean not on your own understanding" really hit me. Have a truly given God all of my trust in every part of my heart? And do I still try to make sense of the things that God does? I cannot lean on my own understanding of these things. I am learning to trust.


Below is a picture of me and my dad from today at my grandma's house.

Please continue to be in prayer for him and for our family. Pray that I will allow God to use me where I am. Also, pray that God would use this in his redemption of all things to himself. Pray that we will have the humility and trust to allow him to do that in whatever way He sees fit. Thanks again, guys.


Love in Christ,

Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment