Tuesday, June 8, 2010

An update from the last year of my life...

I really have a hard time blogging. I would rather live life rather than write about living life. However, I do think that at various times it is really good to sit down and reflect and what God has done. Now just so happens to be one of those times. For anyone else who might be reading, just know this is more for my sanity and personal reflection that anything. :)

May 2010

I arrived back to the United States after studying abroad for nine months in Spain.

June-August 2010

I served as an intern with Hartford City Mission in the North End of Hartford, CT. This was a time of significant trial both spiritually and emotionally as I struggled with reentry.

August 2010

I began my senior year of college at Illinois State.

January 2011

I went on a grad school visit to the University of California Santa Barbara where in a strange turn of events I met a wonderful man named Don Daniels who just happens to want to work in Bible translation in Papua New Guinea (PNG). We decided it would be better to work as a team, so we're dating. I ended up not getting accepted to the school, but the visit was totally worth it.

May 2011

I graduated from ISU with a degree in English and Spanish with a minor in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. I then made plans to go to PNG for the year with Pioneer Bible Translators (PBT) instead of going to grad school, but God surprised me a scholarship through Golden Key International Honour Society that would pay for an entire year of grad school! So, I changed my plans.

June 2011

I attended Pioneer Mission Institute with PBT and made the decision to come to the Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics (GIAL) in Dallas, TX, to train for work in the Bible translation.

July 2011

I started classes at GIAL and moved in to an intentional community living among refugees in Dallas.

September 2011

I will be heading to an international linguistics conference in Spain to present research from my undergraduate thesis.

Well, that's the short version. I suppose at some point, I will give the extended version of some parts--especially the part about Don. That's a good story. Most of you already know, but it would be good to write it down. :) That's all for now. Can't wait to see what God will do in the year to come. Hopefully, I'll blog before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment