Friday, August 28, 2009

Catching Up on Mission Indy

Wow...I have been done with Mission Indy now for almost a month, but I haven't blogged about the last two weeks. Sorry about that. Where to begin, where to begin.

Well, the last week at Shepherd was totally different than any of the others, but was still enjoyable just the same. The kids got to go to a basketball camp run by a former NBA player known as Big Ray. People from the community also donated money for all of them to get a basketball ball with new basketball clothes, socks, and Adidas shoes. They were so excited when they found out that they actually got to keep everything. Every back contained a personal letter from the person who donated the money.

The girls and the boys were separated for basketball camp which was helpful for organization, but that also meant that I didn't get to see the boys all week. :( I really missed them. The mornings for the girls were the pretty much same as all of the other weeks. We had an hour of worship and some free time outside. But, then instead of Bible study and devotions, we had to get them all changed into their basketball clothes. This was quite a chore seeing as the clothes had to be taken home and washed every day of the camp. Then they were brought back in one huge bag that we had to sort through according to the initials we had put on the tags of the clothes. With kindergarteners waiting and watching for their clothes while you do this, it was mass chaos. haha. After the chaos, we ate lunch and headed to Howe High School for the camp.

At the camp, I worked with the kindergarten and first grade girls again who could not participate with the rest of the group because they were just too small. They would have been getting run over and hit by balls left and right. Yikes! I can just imagine the tears. We went to the upstairs gym and did our own activities. I had the girls first do some stretches then some ice creams (running up and down the gym and touching the lines on the floor). This made them good and tired! :) We then broke up into centers and worked on defensive slides, shooting, dribbling, and passing as best as a kindergartner can. I learned a whole lot about patience during the camp as well as asking for help. One of the earlier days of the week, I tried to work with all 25 girls under 6 years old on my own...it was TERRIBLE! I was exhausted and so frustrated. I realized from then on that I could no longer be so proud as to think that I could do it all. From then on, it was way better and less hectic.

After camp, we rode the bus back to Shepherd and the girls had to change back into their normal clothes (so we could wash their basketball clothes) within the 5 minutes before their parents arrived. Again, chaos! haha. Finally, 3:30 arrived, the kids left for home, and Tracy and I drove home absolutely exhausted from the day. haha. It was crazy to say the least, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I miss those girls so much! I often look back through my pictures of them. Their beautiful smiles and pure joy are evidence of God's love in their lives. I only hope I can see them again on this side of heaven and hear how God has continued to show himself to them as they have grown older.

No comments:

Post a Comment